Thursday, September 30, 2010

A little bit of chicken fried...

Another Chicken Festival has come and gone. It is *the* event of the year here in Laurel County, as we are home to the original KFC. It's a four day extravaganza of live music, carnival rides and deep fried food. The schools and courthouse shut down. Locals hit the festival Thursday night and then wisely leave town for the weekend, as everyone from the surrounding area comes in starting on Friday. Some of these folks only leave the holler once a year for the Chicken Festival. As you can imagine, the people watching is incredible.

The other mommies and I took the kids down to ride the rides on Friday morning. They bounced on inflatables, rode jalopies, took a spin on the carousel, and just generally had a wonderful time. We all tried to rush them past the games, where some of the prizes included live fish and rabbits. No way, no how. We also opted not to pay extra to see the live snakes or the 100 pound rat. I'm guessing the 100 pound rat was a really big nutria, or maybe a capybara, but I wasn't paying $3.00 to find out for sure.


Matt, enjoying the rides with his friends









On Saturday our wonderful friends Jessica and Carol drove in from North Carolina to spend the weekend with us. Of course I immediately took them to the Chicken Festival, to show them the

World Largest Skillet.


We'd been there roughly five minutes before a stranger invited us to church the next morning. Welcome to eastern Kentucky.

We also saw the giant chicken,


and managed to catch the Colonel Sander's look-a-like contest,


as well as striking a pose with the Colonel statue.


We stuffed ourselves with funnel cake and kettle korn, browsed all the craft booths, and finally bought some fine chicken hats for Matt and Carol.



Matt is still young enough to love the Chicken Festival. I think next year I'll sign him up for the Chick-O-Lympics, which includes a chicken scratch event in 600 pounds of flour. Can you even picture it?

Ah, Chicken Festival. So glad you're behind us for another year.

2 comments:

Grandma M said...

Please tell Carol and Matt that I liked their fine chicken hats. I'm sorry I didn't get one when I went to the Chicken Festival last year :)

Robin said...

The chicken festival looks awesome. We usually go to the ham festival, but it is a small production compared to that and there are unfortunately no hats. I'm going to suggest that. I've always dreamed of going to the RC Cola & Moon Pie festival in Bell Buckle, but we are always caught by events.