Thursday, December 13, 2007

I've been working on the railroad

In the words of my hero Paula Deen - hey, y'all.

I'm sorry for the long delay between blog posts. Matt is now recovering quite nicely from his surgery. His post-op follow-up last week went well and we are hopeful this surgery may have done the trick. Fingers crossed for uncrossed eyes.

In more recent news, Matt had his first train trip last weekend. There is an excursion train that runs out of the old K-25 plant outside Oak Ridge, and at Christmas time it turns into a Santa train. My parents reserved the entire caboose and we turned the trip into an early family Christmas.

Matt LOVED it. He loved the train, riding on the caboose, waving at people along the tracks, and getting to spend time with his Uncle Richard and Aunt Robin. He wasn't too keen on the train whistle, which was very, very loud, and he was a little leery of Santa Claus, but other than that, he had a fantastic time. At some point he became convinced that there were cows on the train with us, so he talked a lot about waiting for the cows and what the cows might be doing on board, which was pretty funny. He wore his little engineer's hat (courtesy of Grandma) the whole time, and was devastated when the ride was over. We assured him that we will ride the train again soon. I think we have another little train guy in the family now!

Some pictures:

Getting ready to board:




Even the engine was all decked out for Christmas:



Matt thinking, "Hey, where's my leather jacket?"




With Aunt Robin and Uncle Richard:




The whole family:



Getting used to the caboose:



Pondering the mysteries of cows on the train:





With Santa:







He did pretty well with Santa, especially compared to last year - there was no screaming or kicking, and he said "Thank you" for the little bag of treats Santa gave him. I was very proud of him all day.

I think everyone had a great time (hard to say who enjoyed the train more - Matt or Uncle Richard), and I think we're planning on making this an annual tradition. I'm sure the train guys will be delighted.

5 comments:

Robin said...

We had a great time on the train! Matt was very well behaved and very excited to be riding the rails.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Yes, Matt was really very good. I have to admit that I had misgivings after Richard reminded me that there would probably be a coal-fired stove on the caboose. If I had realized that earlier, I probably would have reserved seats on a passenger car. There was a stove and one of the crew was shoveling coals into it as we boarded. Matt never went near it or got off his seat once the train got under way. It was quite nice to have the caboose to ourselves. The only time Matt fussed was when he had to get off the train! He really wanted to "ride train again."

It was such a treat to have all of us together for the excursion!

Anonymous said...

What a great time you all must have had! Bet someone told him the front of the train was a "cow catcher" and he figured they would stack up somewhere! Good to see the whole gang together.

popeye said...

Matt looks adorable in his conductors outfit You all look alright lol He is the most important one in the pictures you know that lol

popeye said...

The last comment might be blamed on Uncle Tim but Aunt Shelia wrote the comment lol That is the TRUTH