Painting the pumpkin:
Painting Grandma:
(Note the fine painting smock - one of Grandpa's t-shirts.)
Once the pumpkin was painted, we added the facial features with sticky-backed foam, and topped it off with a modified Burger King crown. He looked a little off, however, so Grandma fashioned some lovely hair and a mustache for our king. As an aside, I never thought I would have the opportunity to tell someone to stop making a wig for the pumpkin and go to bed. Not something you get to say everyday.
Once the king was complete, we put him in his bathtub (a gold painted box) and Matt filled it with crumpled tissue paper for the water. He then added some toys to represent some of the things in the book - a toy boat, toy food, and some plastic turtles and fish. It was definitely a group effort, but Matt did quite a bit of the work, and I'm proud of both him and myself for that. It was very tempting to go over-the-top and make something really cool, but we tried hard to stay age-appropriate and really let him do it himself. He loved doing it, and I think you can tell how proud he is of the finished product.
And here is King Bidgood, at home in the school library.
School projects are a pretty good parenting perk, I think.
1 comment:
I was so glad that Matt was visiting during the weekend that he did his pumpkin project. We all had fun doing the 3-generation family pumpkin project. And, as you can see by the hair and mustache, Martha Stewart has nothing to fear from me. The nice thing about working with a pre-schooler is that they are not critical and think that everything is great. And Matthew did decorate me a little - I had a painting shirt on so it was ok. He gets a twinkle in his eye and has no poker face at all so I knew when I was about to be "decorated."
Post a Comment