As I mentioned in a long ago post about Christmas, Auntie Sally sent Matt a fantastic beginning science kit.
I hung on to it, and we finally cracked it open on one of our many snow days. Matt adored it from the start, which is not surprising given his gene pool. It's a great kit, and we are still working our way through the experiments. His favorites so far have been testing the pH levels of liquids using red cabbage powder, and creating slightly slimy jiggly beads using polyacrylamide crystals and citric acid.
 |
| Acidic liquids |
 |
| Our tap water tested as a base - pretty sure it's supposed to be neutral. Not good. |
 |
| Our neutrals |
 |
| Making jiggly crystals - testing for maximum jigglyness |
 |
| After 24 hours, we have achieved jiggly crystals! |
 |
| Squishy, jiggly, messy crystals - pure awesome. |
We still have several experiments left to perform, including the color changing volcano. I believe that is going to be an outdoor project; as a general rule of thumb, anything that makes lava or any variant thereof is an outdoor toy. I'm just saying.
1 comment:
This is awesome. When I was a kid, I loved to grow crystals from different solutions.
Post a Comment