Thursday, May 8, 2008

Good grief

Well, we were back to ER yesterday with Matt; unfortunately, unlike our last visit, this one was a lot more stressful and a lot less funny.

Matt had an MRI in the morning, with sedation to keep him still throughout the procedure. Not very long after we were discharged and left the hospital, he started having a reaction to the sedation. (He has had a ton of anesthesia before with no problems.) After he threw up for the third time, we went to the closest ER, per the discharge instructions. By that point we were closer to another hospital, and went to the ER there. Almost as soon as we got there, he was given something to stop him from throwing up. About five minutes after that, the ER doc comes in and says, "I'm really sorry, but I have to tell you that we gave your child too much medicine." They OVERDOSED him - he got 4x what he was supposed to get. It knocked him completely out and lowered his blood pressure to where the diastolic was in the low 20s. Finally, after several hours of monitoring his vitals and pushing some IV fluids, he came fully around and was able to eat some crackers, and they let us go home.

He is doing fine now - by bedtime last night he was running around and playing like normal. It was not a fun day yesterday, and I am hoping for a better one today. Keep your fingers crossed for good MRI results!

1 comment:

Robin said...

I can't imagine how scary that must have been for you guys. I'm glad he's feeling better.