If you're Grandpa Ray, it's Visual Basic Script, and you are more than a little puzzled as to why every local church seems to be teaching a course in it this summer. If you are the parent of a small child, however, it's Vacation Bible School, which means snacks, Bible stories, music, and lots of crafts.
Matt just completed his first VBS at our church. I was a little concerned about how he would behave, since it was in the evening and encroached on his bedtime, but he did pretty well (aside from some crayon eating). The theme this year was "Beach Party: Surfing Through the Scriptures,"

and Matt made some nicely tacky themed crafts, including a surfboard, a fine beach umbrella suncatcher, and a picture frame with a foam palm tree. Good stuff. His favorite thing all week was the flamingo puppet that helped introduce the lesson for the day. Apparently a talking flamingo is irresistible to small children.
I ended up assisting in the 5- and 6-year old class since one of my good friends was teaching it and I am a sucker. It was fun, but thoroughly exhausting. Trying to get twelve kindergartners to care about Mephibosheth is not easy. In fact, just trying to pronounce Mephibosheth is not easy. I also am going to have "Beach party, surfin' the Word...beach party, surfin' the Word...beach party surfin' the Word of God..." stuck in my head for the rest of my life. You can go here to check out the music; and yes, there is a dance that goes with it. I can do the whole thing, because I am awesome.
At any rate, a good time was had by all - we are already looking forward to next year!
Matt at story time, presumably learning about Mephibosheth:
With some of the rest of his class, enjoying the closing service (and of course the flamingo puppet):
No comments:
Post a Comment