Sunday, November 9, 2008

Hard Candy Christmas

Yesterday we took the boy to Dollywood for the first time. It was the first day of their Christmas season and the park was decorated beautifully - millions of lights, Christmas music, and a lighted Christmas parade with Santa riding on a train. Good stuff.

Matt LOVED it. We rode the big steam train around the park first, which he was excited about, even though the whistle was a little loud.



The train is a nice trip and really gives you an idea of how big the park is now. I can't get over how much it's changed - the last time we went was over a decade ago, and I wouldn't have recognized most of it now. I remember when the Blazing Fury was the coolest thing there and you could get a season pass at the White Store for $25. I think I'm really getting old. Ah well. It's a vastly improved amusement park now, although I do miss the old Flooded Mine ride. It's just not the same without the Flooded Mine.

On the plus side, there is a ton of stuff for little kids to do.

Matt rode pigs,


ducks,




flying bees,




and, in the highlight of the evening, his first roller coaster. It was small, but very fast - Charles squeezed himself into the tiny car and rode with him. They are in the yellow car in this picture:



He was a little nervous on the first loop, but by the end of the ride was loving the speed. He came running off the ride, immensely pleased with himself: "I rode a ROLLER COASTER! Because I was tall enough!" You can see how excited he was:



He also drove some classic cars, went through Santa's workshop, ate a $9.00 hot dog, and rode the carousel a couple of times.





It was a very good day. He asked to go back tomorrow, but I think we'll wait for while. Maybe next time he'll be tall enough to go on the Blazing Fury, and we can teach him when to yell, "Now Molly, I got a weak back!"

2 comments:

Robin said...

A few years ago, I took Mary to Dollywood for an end of the school year treat. We were there over 8 hours. The first ride was the grizzly river rampage ride, where the float got stuck under a water spout on top of my seat, so I was WET the entire 8 hours. She had a blast and got me on a few of the scarier roller coasters. I miss Opryland, but I like Dollywood too.

Anonymous said...

another convert to the church of Dollywood