We took the now-annual Santa Train trip over the weekend in Oak Ridge. It's a very interesting trip on the Secret City Scenic Excursion train, which runs through the old K-25 plant and back. Because, you know, nothing says Christmas like a trip through the uranium plant.
Matt again loved it, although he was very leery of the train whistle this year. He also did not appreciate it when I tried to take him out on the porch between our car and the engine while the train was stopped:
In case it's not clear from his facial expression, he is shrieking "Back inside! Take me back inside!"
It was freezing in our caboose and the train guys had quite a time getting the little coal stove started that is supposed to heat the car. Finally, much to the consternation of Grandma, they heeded Aunt Robin's advice about accelerants and dumped some kerosene in it - that seemed to work just fine.
Here's Matt, mostly thawed out and enjoying the ride:
At the end of the trip Charles took him up into the engine. He didn't want to blow the horn, but did enjoy being up there.
After the train trip, Robin and I spent the afternoon making gingerbread houses. Robin's is fantastic - she created a church, complete with candy stained glass windows and a little cross made out of toothpicks and a gumdrop. Mine looks like a five-year old with the palsy did it, although I admit to being quite proud of the peppermint shingles.
Grandma made Matt his own gingerbread shanty out of graham crackers and he was delighted to decorate it. I especially enjoyed watching him bite the head off of a Peeps marshmallow snowman and then stick its decapitated body onto the side of the house.
With his creation:
We have many holiday festivities in the coming weeks, including pictures with Santa. Stay tuned...
1 comment:
Hello, Kitts Family. It looks like the railroad gene has made its way to Matt. I'm glad you all had fun. There may not be a strong gene for construction work in the family from what I can see of the gingerbread real estate. But, it's okay! Take care all. Love, Janet
Post a Comment