Sunday, March 22, 2009

Baby, if you've ever wondered...

Is it possible to visit Cincinnati and not sing at least a little bit of the WKRP theme song? I don't think so.

We got spontaneous this morning and headed to the Cincinnati Zoo. It was a gorgeous day and after a long, hard winter it was a blessing to be able to spend it outside. The zoo is a good one, with well-done exhibits and a lot of animal diversity. Matt loved it, although his favorite thing wasn't an animal, but rather the zoo train. He also loved the small physics exhibit in the aviary that explained lift. The Hosker Force is strong with this one.

Not to be genetically outdone, Charles teaches the boy how to navigate the zoo with the map:



Enjoying the polar bears:


Lots of new zoo construction going on:


Zoo train:


Cheetahs, the world's fastest land animals:


Baby lemur in the zoo nursery:

The nursery not only had an isolette just like the ones in the NICU, but was also home to a "helper animal" - a domestic cat who apparently keeps the baby animals company. This would not be a good job for Ferris, who would probably eat something endangered.

Loving riding a tiger on the zoo carousel:



Apropos of his surroundings, Matt demonstrates his Zoolander look.


We also saw manatees through an underwater viewing area, giant fruit bats, penguins, ridiculously large snakes, and a two-toed tree sloth that was either trying to climb down his tree or had fallen from his branch and was trying to go back up. We couldn't tell, and I don't think he knew, either - he looked pretty confused. Although perhaps that's a normal sloth expression.

I'm hoping that the boy will grow up to love zoos like we do, and I think he's well on his way. He had a huge time today. Little kids and zoos - good stuff.

Now if I could just get that theme song out of my head... "I'm living on the air in Cincinnati...Cincinnati WKRP."

No comments: