Saturday, October 24, 2009

No guts, no glory

Matt and I have been carving pumpkins today. The last time I did this was with Jennifer back in Chattanooga - I'm thinking 1995 or so? It's been a while. Matt was very specific in his jack o'lantern criteria: two nice and two extra-scary. I did my best to oblige, although I think pumpkin carving is definitely not one of my strengths. In fact, it's sort of a miracle that I didn't end up cutting off a finger. At any rate, I think they turned out well, and Matt was an excellent helper, scooping out all the pumpkin guts with a big spoon. He seems pleased with them as well.

Prepping the pumpkin




First jack o'lantern


The finished products


Next step: roasting pumpkin seeds. Yum....

1 comment:

Robin said...

Knowing Mary was going to have company for fall break, I bought pumpkins and got out my carving kit. Mary and Kyla loved it and did a great job, but I didn't realize that Kyla is a concert violinist until she was halfway through carving. She said "My teacher always says not to mess with sharp things, but this is so much fun!" I was like "ACCK." You did a great job on yours, btw :-)