Monday, November 15, 2010

Give thanks

I love Thanksgiving. It's one of the few holidays that doesn't involve a lot of hoopla and gift giving; it's just about getting together with people you love and eating pie. I mean, really, what's not to love about a holiday that mandates pie?

It seems like lately that Thanksgiving is getting lost in the ever-shortening gap between Halloween and Christmas. I went to buy Halloween candy on October 30th this year and the shelves were full of Christmas candy instead. I do not approve. I love Christmas, and I love to overdecorate for Christmas as much as anyone, but please - let's not lose Thanksgiving.

To that end, we had a small group of our local friends over yesterday to celebrate an early Turkey Day. We cooked a turkey that Charles had killed, had tons of cornbread dressing, some serious punch, and pie. Lots of pie. The kids ran wild while the adults visited, and I think a good time was had by all.

We did manage to get all the kids corralled in their pilgrim hats for about a minute and a half, before they went back to pillaging the upstairs of my house.



Hopefully we'll get to have at least one more Thanksgiving, and possibly two. Which means more pie. Gotta love it.

No comments: