Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Playing catch up

As Matt was having his Santa pictures made this weekend, it occurred to me that I should probably catch up with posting all the fall pictures before the flurry of winter photo opportunities start - Santa pictures, gingerbread houses, Christmas plays, etc.

Matt played soccer all fall for Team Fury, which I have to say is an odd choice of names for a team full of giggly five year olds. The only ones feeling any fury may have been the coaches as we went 2-10 for the season. Not great, but the kids had a lot of fun and there were many Kodak moments.

Charles served as an assistant coach this year, as our friend Clinton was the head coach. Charles got to run the draft in Clinton's absence before the season started. Yes, there is a draft for Under-6 soccer. No, I don't know why. Yes, I do think it's ridiculous. But, hey, that's how sports in this town work. We get prerecorded phone calls from the boy's principal reminding us to come out and support the elementary school basketball team; I'm pretty sure he won't be calling people to come on out and support the Science Fair. We just try to roll with it.

Charles and Clinton with Team Fury


Matt's individual pic



Matt scored two goals in our first game - one was an own goal the other team scored that was awarded to Matt because he was the closest player from the other team, but one of them he actually helped kick in the net. I have to say, it was pretty awesome.






He's #1 in this picture, driving towards the goal:


He also did a fairly good job at goalie this year, stopping a lot of shots.





Mostly, though, he just had a good time goofing around with his friends.

The Dynamic Trio - these three spent a good deal of the season chasing each other around the field.



With Megan, a natural poser.



Conference in the net - there's no telling what the topic was.



I need a haircut



Just happy



I think Charles had fun coaching - they worked on instilling some team spirit into the kids, which was always loud and fun to watch.



In a fun coincidence, both coaches shared the same birthday, which happened to fall on a game night. Clinton's wife made a great sign and t-shirts for both the guys.



Although we lost a lot more than we won - it seemed like every team we played had a future soccer superstar on it - the kids tried hard, played hard and made a lot of improvement. And of course, they all enjoyed the end of season party.




Coach's wife, our friend Holly, with the great Team Fury giant cookie she made,



and the kids with their trophies.



Matt has declared his intention to play soccer "for his whole life," which works for me. Spring sign-ups will be soon, I'm sure. Guess Charles should start researching now to prepare for the draft.

No comments: