Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Holly Jolly Christmas Overload

Ho ho ho.  Merry Christmas (just a little late).  It was a typically crazy busy glittery loud excessive holiday season for us.  As tradition dictates, we had lots of food, lots of presents, lots of noise, and for an added bonus this year, a fun Christmas Day car accident.  I hope that last one doesn't become tradition, though.  It kind of sucked.

But, accidents aside, we had a wonderful Christmas.  We hosted an "Ugly Sweater" party at our place for our friends, which I do see becoming a tradition.  Aside from one child getting a tooth knocked out, it was great fun.  (Someone always seems to end up bleeding at our parties.  I don't know why.  It doesn't bode well for when the children are teenagers.) 

Our lovely Christmas sweaters.
A few days later everyone came back to decorate Christmas cookies, something we've been doing with the kids for several years now.  I'm secretly certain that there is an army of rats that live under the house, existing solely on spilled cookie sprinkles.  The children are, shall we say, liberal with the colored sugar. 
Busily making cookies for Santa / eating the sprinkles directly from the jar
A close up of the boy's cookie masterpiece.  That's a snowflake (in case you couldn't tell.)
And then there were the multiple family celebrations.

Christmas with Charles' family has always been big, and as the family has grown, it keeps getting bigger.  This year may have set a record.

When you can barely see the Christmas tree for all the presents, it's possible there are TOO. MANY. PRESENTS.
Grandma Lucille
Grandma Lucille worked all year and made quilts for all the grandkids - Matt loved his, with race cars and checkered flags.
Matt and the race car quilt
I can't pass too much judgement on the number of presents at Grandma Lucille's house - we had our own (more than) fair share under our tree.
Reminder - only three people live here.  TOO. MANY. PRESENTS.
Christmas morning - first glimpse of all the goodies under the tree.
All the boy wanted from Santa this year was an authentic Red Ryder BB gun.  Santa brought it, along with some targets and a long list of rules.


Even though he wanted a BB gun, he was also equally thrilled with a new stuffed animal, so I can cling to the belief that he's not totally grown up yet.

Matt and his new stuffed black panther.  I suggested naming it Stokely but was vetoed in favor of "Mr. Whiskers."
Christmas morning excitement
Rocky....road!
New Red Sox hats for everyone - thank you, Aunt Janet!
Just cute
For Christmas part three it was back to Tennessee for the Hosker Annual All-Book Christmas.  Okay, so maybe not *all* books, but when we are done opening presents, there are typically enough brand new books to stock a small library.  I meant to count this year, but got distracted.  By my new books.  What can I tell you - we all love to read.  Even the boy.  Maybe especially the boy.
Present opening stops so he can read the back of the book
More new books
Nothing says Christmas like a new book on natural disasters
He also loved the fantastic stickers Grandma found to decorate his Lego creations.

And I think Grandma and Grandpa loved getting to see their boy for Christmas.
Grandpa with the (only slightly deformed) reindeer mug Matt made for him

Grandma and her boy
While the hustle and bustle can be exhausting, especially with the boy's birthday a mere two weeks after Christmas, we wouldn't change it.  I can't imagine not seeing everyone for the holidays.  I love being in Oak Ridge for Christmas.  I love playing Trivial Pursuit with all the family. (For the record, we let you all win this year.  And yes, I am a bad loser.  Bad bad bad.) I love eating as much yule log as I can before we have to go home.  (Also for the record, my mother makes the best yule log in the history of ever.  Nothing else even comes close.)  I love searching for the Christmas star light on the hills outside town, seeing Mr. Sides' eclectic roof top sleigh, and yes, watching all of us retreat to our respective corners Christmas night to read our new books.  Car accidents aside, I wouldn't change a thing.

No comments: