Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Turkey Day, y'all.

We had a very low-key day here in Kentucky. It was strange to not go back to Tennessee or see any family, but also relaxing, with no running around to a hundred different houses and eating multiple dinners. I did miss getting to listen to "Alice's Restaurant" with my brother, though. (Shrink, I wanna kill...)

We had a nice dinner here - Champagne Turkey was a hit as always, especially with the cats - then we all took naps, and later went for a drive to look at Christmas lights. Right now Charles is fixing Matt a grilled cheese for dinner and we're watching "Cars" for the billionth time. All told, a very peaceful day.

Matt did make a cute craft this afternoon - the traditional hand turkey. I added the googly eyes, because, let's face it - everything is better with googly eyes.



Hope everyone had a great day - enjoy your leftovers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're glad that you all had a nice day. We really missed you here as well. With Matt in his pre-op "bubble" for a week, Thanksgiving was very quiet here. This was the first time in 39 years that we were alone for Thanksgiving. I couldn't help but think of the Thanksgiving when Richard was 6 days old. That started the many busy years of dinner with family and, more recently, with friends. Where have the years gone? This was one of the many years since then that Thanksgiving and his birthday were on the same day. I remember many of those times when we had all the usual pies and a chocolate mint ice cream birthday cake from Baskin-Robbins as well.

And yes, I remember the endless "Alice's Restaurant" very well although I can't really associate it with Thanksgiving Day. I was probably too busy to listen to it or it was one of the many charming musical selections that I managed to block out while you and Richard were listening to them :)

We decided to go for a walk after dinner and, when I asked Ray where we should go, he said "Go that way!" which is Matt-speak for heading up the street toward New York Avenue. We really missed having a little helper to walk with us or ride in the red wagon!

Much as we missed having you here, I know it is a very good thing to have your own family events and be able to use your own recipes, etc. I think we have come full circle in a way to have dinner alone again this year. But it was only a day - we are very fortunate to have our kids not too many hours away and can share meals with you at other times.